From: "Jan Kundrát" <jkt@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] EAPI 2 policy for portage tree
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 16:57:22
1 Jean-Marc Hengen wrote:
2 > tree and my policies (more precisely: I can't keep current stable
3 > portage and cmake-2.6.2). My solution to the problem, was to copy the
4 > ebuild in /var/db/pkg to my local overlay and I'm fine with it for now.
5 > The drawback of this workaround is, I could miss important fixes, like
6 > security fixes.
7
8 [snip]
9
10 > the cmake-2.6.2 ebuild. This has the advantage, that people with a setup
11 > like mine can continue to use, what they already use and work on the
12 > cmake ebuild can continue in the new revision. If the new revision fixes
13 > a security issue, one can mask the old version, with a message with bug
14 > telling this.
15
16 Just FYI, there's no difference -- when you've chosen to use the ~arch
17 version, you *have* to follow any updates to it as soon as possible if
18 you want to be reasonably sure you aren't affected by a security bug, as
19 our security team doesn't issue GLSAs for ~arch packages. Sticking with
20 a version that works for you doesn't mean you're somehow protected form
21 security bugs.
22
23 So to put this into perspective with cmake -- if there was a security
24 bug in current version (which you'd keep as you don't want to upgrade
25 Portage) and the fix for this bug would be using EAPI=2 (which is not an
26 unrealistic situation), you'd be affected.
27
28 Cheers,
29 -jkt
32 cd /local/pub && more beer > /dev/mouth