From: "Andreas K. Huettel" <dilfridge@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] News item: GCC 6 defaults to USE="pie ssp"
Date: Wed, 10 May 2017 13:35:28
1 Am Mittwoch, 10. Mai 2017, 15:31:13 CEST schrieb James Le Cuirot:
2 > On Wed, 10 May 2017 08:20:32 -0500
3 >
4 > Matthias Maier <tamiko@g.o> wrote:
5 > > On Wed, May 10, 2017, at 02:28 CDT, Martin Vaeth <martin@×××××.de>
6 > >
7 > > wrote:
8 > > > I am using gcc-6 since ages and tried to run a desktop with default
9 > > > pie for quite a while, but soon was forced to give up:
10 > > >
11 > > > [...]
12 > >
13 > > I have pie enabled on a desktop for years. Almost all major linux
14 > > distribution have pie enabled as well nowadays.
15 > >
16 > > https://wiki.debian.org/Hardening/PIEByDefaultTransition
17 >
18 > This is less significant but I'd still like to add that I just updated
19 > gcc to 6 followed by @world with some 500 packages and I didn't hit a
20 > single PIE issue.
21
22 Similar here...
23
24 I'm wondering a bit if we're not trying to make ~arch stable again. Then again
25 nobody of us knows all use cases of Gentoo everywhere, so listening to the
26 list makes sense.
29 Andreas K. Hüttel
30 dilfridge@g.o
31 Gentoo Linux developer (council, perl, libreoffice)