From: Collins Richey <crichey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 16:11:31
1 On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 11:27:26 -0400, Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o> wrote:
2 > Lately it seems that both devs and non-devs are getting into the
3 > top-posting habit on this mailing list. If you're not familiar with
4 > what I mean, here is an example.
8 > This is an annoying habit. It's traditional on mailing lists to quote
9 > only the text to which you're replying, and put your reply below the
10
11 > Please observe this rule when posting to this mailing list. For more
12 > information, see
13 >
14 > http://www.tux.org/lkml/#s3-9
15 > http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt
18 Unfortunate but true, but my experience with those who top-post (based
19 on lengthy threads on gentoo-user and other lists) is that top-posters
20 are addicted to their habit and will not be dissuaded by logic or
21 appeals to netiquette. "I'll g-damn top-post if I want to," seems to
22 be the attitude. It's something akin to trying to teach a pig to dance
23 - you become covered with mud and it upsets the pig.
24
25 Ah well, perhaps the developers are a better example than the general populace.
26
27 It doesn't help that most mailer programs (mozilla is an exception)
28 automatically position the cursor in a reply for top-posting leaving
29 all the garbage that you must trim below, out of sight, and easy to
30 forget.
31
32 Thanks for the reminder.
35 /\/\
36 (CR) Collins Richey
37 \/\/ "I hear you're single again." "Spouse 2.0 had fewer bugs than
38 Spouse 1.0, but the maintenance ... was too much for my OS."
39 - Glitch (tm)
42 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list