From: Jeremy Maitin-Shepard <jbms@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] /usr/portage --> /var/portage
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 07:49:59
1 I agree with most of your suggestions.
2
3 As far as DISTDIR, however, it may be less dynamic, but that is largely
4 due to the lack of a convenient way to delete only the unneeded files,
5 which, if done, would result in a fair amount of hard disk
6 fragmentation. Furthermore, it is still cache data.
7
8 As far as PORTDIR being moved to /usr/share when /usr is shared over a
9 network, I do not believe that would generally be useful, because if
10 /usr is shared, building is not going to be done except on a single
11 machine, and so there is no need for all of the machines to have access
12 to the portage tree.
13
14 PKGDIR (and RPMDIR) are also cache data (generated by compiling the
15 source), and are furthermore relatively dynamic (thus more suitable for
16 /var, because they lead to fragmentation) on most systems that generate
17 them.
20 Jeremy Maitin-Shepard
23 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list