From: John Helmert III <ajak@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: large amount of unmaintained dev-haskell/* package
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2022 16:42:46
1 On Sat, Jul 23, 2022 at 08:34:26AM -0400, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
2 > On Sat, 2022-07-23 at 02:49 +0100, Sam James wrote:
3 > > # Sam James <sam@g.o> (2022-07-22)
4 > > # Monolithic mask for dev-haskell/* packages which have no reverse dependencies,
5 > > # are broken, or severely out of date. The aim is to have the Haskell overlay
6 > > # (::haskell) be the place for development packages and only have packages
7 > > # needed for end-user applications in ::gentoo, as the status who has
8 > > # proven to be unsustainable. More up-to-date versions of these packages
9 > > # are available in ::haskell.
10 > > # Removal on 2022-08-22.
11 > > ...
12 > > dev-haskell/hakyll
13 > > ...
14 > > sci-mathematics/agda
17 > Those two are (relatively) popular end-user applications.
18 >
19 > I'm sure this came up already, but just in case it didn't: we largely
20 > have two non-developers maintaining the ::haskell overlay, and they've
21 > been doing so since slyfox's retirement. Since there's an ongoing
22 > thread about recruitment... has anyone thought about letting them do
23 > their work in ::gentoo instead?
24
25 Yes, I (and others) have encouraged them to do the quiz and offered
26 mentoring them.