From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: Richard Yao <ryao@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] udev-ng? (Was: Summary Council meeting Tuesday 13 November 2012)
Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2012 06:49:17
1 On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 12:35:22AM -0500, Richard Yao wrote:
2 > On 11/18/2012 12:19 AM, Greg KH wrote:
3 > > On Sun, Nov 18, 2012 at 12:00:52AM -0500, Richard Yao wrote:
4 > >>> I'm genuinely interested in your goals, in detail, otherwise I would
5 > >>> not have asked about them. Perhaps I am totally wrong and your fork
6 > >>> makes sense, perhaps, to me, not. But without knowing such goals,
7 > >>> there's no way that anyone can get an idea about this.
8 > >>
9 > >> I am afraid that I have to disappoint you. If we were using the
10 > >> waterfall model, I could outline some very nice long term goals for you,
11 > >> but we are doing AGILE development, so long term goals have not been
12 > >> well defined. Some short term goals have been defined, but I imagine
13 > >> that you are already familiar with them. I suggest asking again after
14 > >> our first tag.
15 > >
16 > > I'll ignore the fact that project goals have nothing to do with
17 > > waterfall or agile, and ask, what are your short-term goals?
18 > >
19 > > Why is this an "official" Gentoo project without this being discussed in
20 > > an open manner?
21 >
22 > We are in the process of getting started. If you read my original email,
23 > you would know that the announcement was supposed to occur relatively
24 > soon. The reason I sent it was because the Gentoo Council meeting
25 > required something be sent sooner than we were ready.
26
27 The "announce later, act first" seems like a new move for the Gentoo
28 Council to be taking. Is this really an official act that the council
29 is approving?
30
31 Why wait to announce a project that is being hosted on a Gentoo account,
32 with Gentoo Foundation copyrights on them? I don't understand the
33 delay.
34
35 > >>> Wait, what? The kmod introduction was deliberate and solves a real
36 > >>> problem. kmod itself was created _because_ of these issues that had
37 > >>> been seen and found. It was written for the systemd/udev projects to
38 > >>> use, and had been worked on for a long time by a number of developers.
39 > >>> By removing it, you have now negated that solution and we are back to
40 > >>> the old problems we had before. That doesn't seem very wise to me, does
41 > >>> it to you?
42 > >>>
43 > >>> thanks,
44 > >>>
45 > >>> greg k-h
46 > >>
47 > >> Having a builtin is a good idea, but the implementation as a mandatory
48 > >> dependency on kmod is not. The plan is to reintroduce it as an optional
49 > >> dependency, so that distributions (and Gentoo users) that do not want it
50 > >> can avoid it. None of us want to force dependencies on others and there
51 > >> is no need for this one.
52 > >
53 > > You do realize that you didn't really drop the dependency at all, right?
54 >
55 > kmod does not exist on my system and eudev builds without a problem.
56
57 Are you using busybox to load your kernel modules? Are you saying that
58 this is something that will be required here?
59
60 Or is this change because you want to use busybox to load your modules?
61 If so, why not just use mdev instead of udev at all? That's what mdev
62 was created for, busybox-like systems that don't want the "heavy" udev
63 on them.
64
65 > I am thinking of writing my own busybox-style code to handle module
67 > with kmod. Does this not avoid the dependency?
68
69 So we will now have 3 different Linux kernel loaders floating around?
70 What's wrong with using kmod in the first place? What does it do that
71 is so wrong?
72
73 And again, back to my original point above, you have reintroduced the
74 problem that kmod solved. How is that good?
75
76 > >> With that said, Linux distributions are victims of people continually
77 > >> trying to reinvent the wheel with no formal planning.
78 > >
79 > > Huh? Really? It's as if you think we all are just throwing stuff
80 > > against the wall and seeing what sticks? We aren't responding to real
81 > > users, customers, research, history, and competitors? Your dismissal of
82 > > the people who create the system you are using seems pretty bold.
83 >
84 > The result of what the existing people have been doing has been the
85 > equivalent of throwing stuff against the wall for many of us.
86
87 Really? What, specifically, is wrong with the existing systemd solution
88 that you have a problem with? Specifics please, otherwise they can't be
89 fixed.
90
91 > We have decided to try doing things ourselves to see if we can do
92 > better. We think we can.
93
94 That's wonderful, seriously. But why is this suddenly an official
95 Gentoo project? When did that happen, and why? Why not just do a
96 "normal" project and if it matures and is good enough, then add it to
97 the distro like all other packages are added.
98
99 My main point here is the fact that this is now being seen as an act by
100 Gentoo, the distro / foundation. And that happened in private, without
101 any anouncement. Which is not good on many levels.
102
103 > > Have you studied the problem area for booting, process monitoring,
104 > > system isolation, device creation and notification, persistant naming,
105 > > multiple users with multiple displays, and the like, and found that
106 > > Linux is lacking in this area? If so, I would love to learn more, as I
107 > > want Linux, and Gentoo, to succeed. Without knowing the problems you
108 > > are having, there's no way anyone will ever change.
109 >
110 > We already have OpenRC, which has been found to work well on both Gentoo
111 > Linux and Gentoo FreeBSD. The integration of udev into systemd has
112 > caused problems for existing OpenRC systems with people being told that
113 > it is okay to break configurations that users had been told to use over
114 > well over a decade. Many of us consider that to be unacceptable.
115
116 Part of the goal of systemd is to unify all Linux distros startup logic,
117 and configuration logic, to make things unified to help a whole lot of
118 things happen better and faster in the end. It is a move to save
119 effort, and, is succeeding quite well. If Gentoo does not wish to
120 participate in this effort, then those of us who are participating in
121 it, and are Gentoo developers, should be told this so that we can decide
122 what we wish to do.
123
124 OpenRC is great, and has worked well for 10+ years. But seriously, it
125 is creaky in places, and doesn't do much at all compared to what systemd
126 offers. If Gentoo wants to ignore systemd, it does so at its own peril.
127
128 Oh, and systemd has nothing to do with the /usr issue, don't ever get
129 that confused. A separate /usr broke a long time ago, systemd just now
130 shows you how broken your system really was, and you didn't notice it :)
131
132 > Anyway, results are what are important. If you are interested in what we
133 > are doing, then I suggest coming back in a month to see what we have
134 > produced.
135
136 Why a month? Where did that deadline come from?
137
138 And again, the main question that has never been answered yet, "What are
139 you trying to do here?"
140
141 thanks,
142