From: Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: What means bup?
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2018 22:45:38
1 On 18-09-24 09:27:57, Kent Fredric wrote:
2 > On Sat, 22 Sep 2018 15:36:23 -0500
3 > Matthew Thode <prometheanfire@g.o> wrote:
4 > > My hand slipped. What ever happened to assuming the best :( Are you
5 > > going to ping the list every time my hand slips up and I mistype
6 > > something? Not sure you'll have time for it :P
7 >
8 > Personally, I would love it if more people tried harder to provide
9 > meaningful commit messages.
10 >
11 > "bup" vs "bump" isn't really achieving much, just one of the two are
12 > substantially more egregious.
13 >
14 > Perhaps, if the commit messages were crafted with clarity as their
15 > intent, the consequence of accidental typos would be much more
16 > inconsequential.
17 >
18 > ( I seriously think we could do with a *little* more chiding here than
19 > we generally see, but like, I'm typically just biting my tongue every
20 > time somebody doesn't invest any more effort than to write the word
21 > "bump" in their text editor when committing with repoman, cos I really
22 > don't want to be a dick about it. There's room for more than 4
23 > characters and a space in the subject, and infinitely more space in the
24 > body, why do we have to choose the least clear of all options? )
25 >
26 > Occasional accidents are still gonna happen, but it would be nice if we
27 > didn't define accidents and siblings of accidents as the status quo.
30 What would you rather see for when a package is bumped (that is, simply
31 copying the ebuild and editing the keywords)?
34 Matthew Thode (prometheanfire)