From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unmasking modular X
Date: Tue, 24 Jan 2006 21:36:12
1 Mark Loeser wrote:
2 >>> On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 23:06:12 -0800 Donnie Berkholz
3 >>> <spyderous@g.o> wrote:
4 >>> What's wrong with the original idea of just making any unported ebuild
5 >>> pull in all of modular X (minus drivers)? Yes, it means that some
6 >>> people will pick up unnecessary deps until all packages are ported, but
7 >>> it avoids anyone having to see flashy red errors.
8 >> The problem with that is that it removes all motivation to ever port the
9 >> packages. They'll just stay that way forever, where forever means "until
10 >> I threaten to remove that from the virtual," in which case we'll be in
11 >> the same scenario we are now. Why? Because people have better things to
12 >> do than fix stuff that isn't broken.
13 >
14 > It'd be nice if you reconsidered this as it will minimize any breakage that
15 > may occur. Knowing that >800 packages are broken, and going to unmask it
16 > knowing that just doesn't seem acceptable in my eyes. ~arch isn't meant to
17 > be "things are known to be broken." It's meant to mean, we think all of this
18 > is ready to be stable, which it certainly won't be in this case.
19
20 No, it won't. It will just postpone the same breakage, as I said above.
21 You haven't provided any logic or backup to your contrary statement,
22 just said that somehow a large portion of the other 800 will magically
23 get ported.
24
25 Let me break this down again: of that 800, about 250 are unmaintained
26 packages according to metadata.xml or lack thereof. About 200 are games.
27 About 150 more belong to largely inactive herds. That's roughly 600 that
28 we already know will not get ported in a timely fashion, if left to
29 their maintainers, all because of lack of manpower. What do you propose
30 to deal with them? All I've heard besides mine is proposals that delay
31 the same breakage, not actually get anything fixed.
32
33 Thanks,
34 Donnie