From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Kent Fredric <kentnl@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o, licenses@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] Adding potentially questionable license AcePerl-Indemnity
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 2020 07:31:25
1 >>>>> On Thu, 23 Apr 2020, Kent Fredric wrote:
2
3 > I've just discovered dev-perl/Ace has some fun questionable licensing
4 > which includes a lovely indemnity clause, which had previously gone
5 > unnoticed, and it stipulates additional requests for research
6 > publications, which is not something mentioned in any license currently
7 > in tree other than Tinker
8
9 > Following is the entire body of the license I plan to put in
10 > licenses/AcePerl-Indemnity ( name chosen to specifically alert people
11 > tempted to accept this license that Indemnification is an important
12 > part they should actually read )
13
14 > Current advice also says that due to the terms of this license, we have
15 > to RESTRICT="mirror" this as well, unless the Trustees want to sign off
16 > on potentially indemnifying CSHL
17
18 > Also following up with CPAN because as its *currently* mirrored on
19 > CPAN, and has been mirrored there for at *least* 12 years, its
20 > potentially in a legal situation as well.
21
22 > ( But that's the fault of the uploader if true, because you can't
23 > upload anything to CPAN without mirroring being something you didn't
24 > expect )
25
26 > Once this license is added, the plan is to rework Ace-*.ebuild to be under
27
28 > LICENSE="|| ( Artistic GPL-1+ ) AcePerl-Indemnity"
29
30 > Upstream: https://metacpan.org/source/LDS/AcePerl-1.92/DISCLAIMER.txt
31
32 The important words are:
33 "This library is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
34 under the same terms as Perl itself."
35 which makes it simply LICENSE="|| ( Artistic GPL-1+ )", and of course,
36 no mirror restriction is needed.
37
38 The rest is simply an additional warranty disclaimer. I wouldn't even
39 see it as part of the license, because it is about usage of the
40 software, not about its distribution.
41
42 As always: IANAL, TINLA.
43
44 Ulrich