From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: constanze@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] eclass for handling of file-based capabilities
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2011 08:46:23
1 On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 17:34:29 +0100
2 Constanze Hausner <constanze@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 17:44 Sat 05 Mar , Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
5 > > * some filesystems don't support xattrs at all, and the package
6 > > manager needs to support installing to them, even if the user is
7 > > building on a filesystem that does support it
8 >
9 > While GSoC I was not able to come up with a good fallback mechanism.
10 > I'm going to give the new ideas some thought over the week and
11 > hopefully come up with something good :).
12
13 How about that:
14 1) src_install() installs a file, like in:
15 /var/lib/gentoo/filecaps.d/${PF}
16 specifying which caps have to applied to which files,
17
18 2) the eclass depends on an ebuild, installing a kind
19 of 'filecaps-apply' tool, reading information from that file and trying
20 to apply filecaps as necessary (and flipping setuid bits),
21
22 3) the eclass calls that tool in pkg_postinst() to apply the caps
23 on the target filesystem.
24
25 This should help with all the issues mentioned, including binpkg
26 support. Moreover, user could use the tool manually to restore/reset
27 filecaps if they were lost or unapplied (e.g. due to incorrect kernel
28 config).
31 Best regards,
32 Michał Górny