From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Need design help/input for eclean-kernel
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2016 13:19:37
1 On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 05:55:42 -0700
2 Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 06/30/2016 05:38 AM, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > Hello, everyone.
6 > >
7 > > Back in 2011 I started a project called eclean-kernel. The idea was
8 > > pretty simple -- to have a tool that would clean the old kernels for
9 > > me since their install is not controlled by the package manager. This
10 > > little project of mine seems to have gained a lot of popularity.
11 > >
12 > > Sadly, over time a lot of people had trouble with it. Aside to minor
13 > > Python problems, eclean-kernel proved too simple to handle multitude of
14 > > user systems with varying /boot layouts. In fact, even I don't use it
15 > > on all of my systems since it doesn't handle them properly.
16 > >
17 > > After being buried in another set of bug reports, I'd like to
18 > > officially ask Gentoo developers and users for help. I think it's
19 > > impossible to solve most of the bugs reported so far in the current
20 > > program design. Therefore, I'd like to rewrite it in a more flexible
21 > > manner.
22 > >
23 > > For this reason, I would like to ask you to provide me with
24 > > different /boot layouts you may have, had or seen. Basically, the idea
25 > > is to collect as many different layouts as necessary, and use that to
26 > > design eclean-kernel in a way making it possible to easily configure it
27 > > to handle proper variant -- or even possibly make it capable of
28 > > autoconfiguration.
29 > >
30 > > So if you have some time, please reply to this thread with
31 > > a specific /boot layout that you think needs to be handled, with
32 > > as much helpful information as possible -- including possible
33 > > distinctive features and pitfalls.
34 > >
35 > > Thanks in advance.
36 > >
37 > I'm not sure if this is the info you're looking for, but I'll give it a
38 > shot:
39 >
40 > I have grub-static installed to /boot/. I like to organize my kernels
41 > with the filenames as linux-${version}-gentoo-${buildno}. So my first
42 > build of 4.5.0, for example, would be 'linux-4.5.0-gentoo-1'. It has all
43 > the info I need for reference should something go awry.
44 >
45 > I have three symlinks: current, last, backup
46 >
47 > I wrote scripts that will update those symlinks for me, which makes the
48 > process of kernel management pretty painless. Now that I'm thinking
49 > about it, it could be simple in my case to simply clean any kernel that
50 > wasn't linked to.
51 >
52 > My /boot/:
53 >
54 > grub
55 > lost+found
56 > backup -> linux-4.4.1-gentoo-2
57 > boot
58
59 What's 'boot' here? Is that relevant?
60
61 > current -> linux-4.4.6-gentoo-1
62 > initrd
63
64 Is that a single initrd for all kernels?
65
66 > last -> linux-4.4.1-gentoo-3
67 > linux-4.4.1-gentoo-2
68 > linux-4.4.1-gentoo-3
69 > linux-4.4.6-gentoo-1
70
71 And most importantly, how are all those files referenced in grub? I
72 suspect you are using the symlinks in grub.conf but want to confirm.
75 Best regards,
76 Michał Górny
77 <http://dev.gentoo.org/~mgorny/>