From: Vaeth <vaeth@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Ability to pass arguments to src_configure/src_compile
Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 11:56:24
1 Santiago M. Mola wrote:
2 > Vaeth <vaeth@××××××××××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
3 > >
4 > > [...] The suggestion violates in an extreme way the golden design
5 > > rule that small changes in effect should require small changes in source.
6 [...]
7
8 > Yes, you're right. That would be really tedious and stupid... but
9 > we're lucky, and EAPI-2 introduced the 'default' function. So if you
10 > need to do a small change not covered by this method, you just define
11 > the phase, make the little change, and then call the 'default'
12 > function. Clean and simple.
13
14 How does this "little change" look like if you have to call ./autogen.sh
15 instead of ./configure? Or if you want to call a second ./configure
16 in some subdirectory with the same options but one option changed?
17
18 These are just some examples, I hope that the point becomes clear:
19 You simply cannot cover all natural modifications which might be
20 necessary unless you really can access the commands themselves;
21 and for this reason it is wise IMHO to have default functions which are
22 as short as possible (and which are in particular not dealing with
23 complex implicit array arguments).