From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] Moving more architectures to ~arch only
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2021 17:10:47
1 On Thu, 2021-10-14 at 15:40 +0200, Marek Szuba wrote:
2 > Dear everyone,
3 >
4 > Following some private discussions, I feel quite strongly now that it
5 > would both considerably improve certain processes and make our use of
6 > limited manpower more efficient were we to further reduce the number of
7 > stable arches in Gentoo Linux. Specifically, I propose to drop
8 > - hppa,
9 > - ppc,
10 > - sparc,
11 > - x86
12 > to ~arch-only status.
15 I don't have a strong opinion either way.
16
17 On one hand, I fully realize that these platforms are a hassle (hppa
18 and x86 especially). On the other hand, I wouldn't want to basically go
19 tell Dakon "sorry, you're doing a good job but we've arbitrarily decided
20 it's not worth your effort".
21
22 While we're discussing it, maybe we should start by defining a clear
23 criteria for platform support tiers? Like: what are the requirements
24 for a platform to maintain stable keywords? Then the decisions could
25 look less arbitrary, and people would have a clear way of knowing what
26 they need to do if they wish the platform to continue having stable
27 keywords.
30 Best regards,
31 Michał Górny