From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Nominations open for the Gentoo Council 2007/08
Date: Fri, 06 Jul 2007 08:35:24
1 Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> posted
2 1183673856.8491.42.camel@××××××××××××××××.org, excerpted below, on Thu,
3 05 Jul 2007 15:17:36 -0700:
4
5 > On Mon, 2007-07-02 at 21:10 +0200, Torsten Veller wrote:
6 >> Chris Gianelloni wolf31o2
7 >
8 > While I thank you for the nomination for next year's Gentoo Council, I
9 > have decided that I no longer wish to be associated with the Gentoo
10 > Council or any other form of "management" or "leadership" within Gentoo.
11 > It is simply too stressful[. [Note] that of the original elected
12 > Council, two have retired (both due to being tired of having the shit
13 > roll downhill to them) from Gentoo completely, and three of the
14 > remaining aren't running for re-election.
15 >
16 > Being a Council member is the worst job in Gentoo. Be sure you're ready
17 > to be treated like complete shit from your fellow developers all the
18 > while having your integrity questioned daily before accepting your
19 > nominations. I know that I wouldn't accept a position on the Gentoo
20 > Council even if it was a paying job.
21 >
22 > I've also come to realize that trying to give a single direction to
23 > something like Gentoo is an extremely foolish endeavor. The better
24 > solution is smaller projects and tasks that have defined goals and can
25 > actually be accomplished[. T]he Council is definitely needed[, but]
26 > their focus should be on attainable and measurable goals, not lofty
27 > dreamy-eyed goals with no real way to measure whether we're moving in
28 > the right direction.
29
30 The following is JMHO...
31
32 So it sounds like you've come out of the year as a council member more
33 cynical, more reality-eyed as compared to starry-eyed, in a word, more
34 /mature/.
35
36 Too bad you are /not/ running again, as arguably, that sort of wisdom,
37 experience and maturity, an appreciation of how reality actually works as
38 opposed to theory, is just the sort of thing that Gentoo /needs/ on the
39 council.
40
41 FWIW, nobody's perfect, but IMO, the outgoing council did reasonably well
42 given what it ran on, where it started, and the events that happened on
43 their watch that they had to deal with. Many councilors ran saying
44 Gentoo needed to shake things up, and the council going in vowed to be an
45 activist council. I was a bit concerned at that, but whatever. They
46 WERE an activist council, changing a number of things, driving Gentoo
47 forward in a number of areas, often in spite of opposition. In other
48 areas, they tried things and those things failed, but they tried. They
49 may not have accomplished everything they wanted, but who does? They
50 certainly were activist, however, and proved both some things that work
51 and some things that don't. That's more than we knew before, and no way
52 to know without trying. Hopefully, those lessons will be taken to heart
53 by the next council, whoever they end up being.
54
55 And no, I can't say I blame you for not taking the renomination. It's
56 still a shame, tho. Maybe with a year off...
57
58 Regardless of where you go in relation to Gentoo, I believe a decade from
59 now looking back, you'll find the experience a turning point in your
60 life, something you'll ultimately say you wouldn't change and that
61 changed you for the better, regardless of how hard it was while you were
62 going thru it.
63
64 So anyway, thanks to you and the entire council for serving. Someone has
65 to, and I can't see how it could have turned out better with anyone else.
70 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
73 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list