From: Craig Joly <craig@×××××××××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@××××××××××.org>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] ebuild dependency question
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 20:55:54
1 I'm working on an ebuild for gaby and I've got some dependancy
2 questions. gaby has several optional features. I looked at debian
3 and they simply make everything a dependancy. The ebuild system gives
4 us quite a bit more flexibility.
5
6 The details:
7 - supports gnome or vanilla gtk+ interface
8 - optional python support (recommended)
9 - optional libxml support (recommended)
10 - optional imlib support
11 - optional gdk-pixbuf support
12 - optional EsounD support
13 - optional libglade support
14 - python and libxml support are required for printing
15 - imlib or gdk-pixbuf, not both
16 - if you use python support, pygtk is recommended
17 - optional nls
18
19 gnome, esd and nls are easy. Just check USE flags in make.conf.
20
21 Since there's no imlib or gdk-pixbuf USE flags, I don't consider them
22 a dependency and let the ./configure script decide.
23 Same with libglade support - build it if ./configure can find it.
24
25 Python is where things get complicated. IMO, printing should be
26 included by default, so python and libxml should be dependencies
27 (ignoring the USE python flag).
28
29 And lastly, let ./configure handle pygtk.
32 What do you think? Does this fit with the Gentoo philisophy?
33
34 Thanks
35 Craig