From: Tucker I Sylvestro <tsyl1@×××.EDU>
To: Jean-Michel Smith <jsmith@××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo installation modifications for 3ware cards
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 00:13:11
1 Nope, I didn't type modprobe 3w-xxxx until after I built and copied it in
2 the way I mentioned in the howto. Nor did I know I needed to probe the
3 scsi driver in order to have sda created. That sounds much easier than
4 then the process I went through ;)
5
6 I do think it would be nice to have that linked somewhere off the install
7 page, or at least somewhere in the docs. I thought I'd been pretty
8 thorough about looking in all the right places before trying to roll my
9 own solution, and didn't find that described anywhere.
10
11 Purely out of curiousity, why don't I need to run modprobe now that my
12 computer's booting off the RAID array? I compiled the module into my
13 kernel, so how is it different from the kernel on the CD (which did not
14 automatically recognize the drives) if the drivers were compiled into that
15 too? I'm pretty sure I do have the 1.1a version since I bought it from
16 Edmunds Enterprises, straight off the link on the gentoo.org home page.
17
18 Thanks for the reply,
19 Tucker