From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] USE_EXPAND in IUSE ( again )
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 05:50:28
1 On Saturday 11 March 2006 14:19, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > Either USE_EXPAND always goes in IUSE, or USE_EXPAND never goes in IUSE.
3
4 Regardless of what is displayed, portage will eventually need to know what
5 USE_EXPAND env vars are modifying the behaviour of an ebuild. Consider
6 extending --newuse to support USE_EXPAND as well. Simply knowing the var
7 itself isn't quite enough. Could you imagine if every single package that
8 is modified by USE were recompiled when irrelevant parts of USE is changed?
9
10 > If you want USE_EXPAND that sometimes goes in IUSE and sometimes doesn't
11 > you better have a good plan for keeping those lists of proper USE_EXPAND
12 > flags and improper flags in sync. I mean I'd love to do it that way,
13 > but I'll bet those lists get old and nasty and we will have people
14 > complaining about QA warnings that they thought were fixed or that there
15 > were no QA warnings when there should have been...etc..
16
17 I also committed support for a USE_EXPAND_HIDDEN. Individual flags don't
18 need to be added to it. USE_EXPAND_HIDDEN="USERLAND ARCH ..." is enough.
21 Jason Stubbs
22 --
23 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list