From: Angelo Arrifano <miknix@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] ebuild function to show package changelog
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2010 15:47:08
1 On Sex, 2010-03-12 at 09:33 -0600, William Hubbs wrote:
2 > On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 04:16:05PM +0100, Angelo Arrifano wrote:
3 > > Hello all,
4 > >
5 > > [Speaking as user] I find myself many times stumbling through package
6 > > ChangeLogs to see what is new/changed after a emerge -u world. As some
7 > > of you might agree, this is time consuming.
8 > >
9 > > What do you people think on a new pkg_changelog function that would
10 > > instruct the ebuild how to retrieve this kind of information from the
11 > > package? Most of packages have a somewhat standard place for it in the
12 > > source tree, so I guess a default pkg_changelog function could, in
13 > > theory, be implemented.
14 > >
15 > > This function could be then called at user request by means of e.g.
16 > > emerge --showchangelog <atom> or at the end of emerge update (controlled
17 > > through a FEATURES="show-changelog" or something).
18 >
19 > Actually there is already an option for emerge to show the changelogs
20 > of packages that will be upgraded. Take a look at the --changelog
21 > option for emerge. It can be used along with --pretend to show you the
22 > changelogs of packages that will be upgraded.
23
24 For a moment, you really tricked me into believing I've been missing
25 this feature. Specially by reading man emerge:
26 "This will show the ChangeLog entries for all the packages"
27 btw: shouldn't it read "ebuilds" here? /\
28
29 What I meant originally was to show the ChangeLog of the package
30 (ChangeLog inside source tree), not the ebuild ChangeLog.
31 >
32 > Thanks,
33 >
34 > William