From: Caleb Tennis <caleb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] What is happening to the desktops?
Date: Mon, 29 Sep 2003 13:08:05
1 On Monday 29 September 2003 03:45 am, C. Brewer wrote:
2 > I see..a lot of deps pulling in their own deps.. I was pretty much just
3 > going off each desktop's site listings of reqs..the gnome site surely
4 > matches up alot better than kde's..I think I'll give the gnome a
5 > whirl..since they're pretty honest about it taking a while..Thanks Mike!
6
7 I don't know how Gnome is set up, but all you need for a KDE installation is
8 to emerge kde-base/kdebase. It will pull down arts, kdelibs, and any other
9 system lib dependencies you don't already have. The dependencies in these
10 builds are relatively minor. If you don't already have Qt it will pull that
11 in as well (rather large).
12
13 I don't see how this can be construed as "too many dependencies". On my
14 P4-2200 this whole process takes about 2 hours. Before high speed broadband,
15 it used to take me that long just to download the source code.
16
17 Now, if you start installing all of the other *optional* kde packages (games,
18 multimedia, ..) it will increase your installation time 5 fold.
19
20 Caleb
23 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list