From: Michael Weber <xmw@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: news item for udev 197-r3 upgrade (yes, I know, it's late)
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 14:53:09
1 On 01/24/2013 02:45 AM, »Q« wrote:
2 > On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 13:49:09 -0800
3 > Christopher Head <chead@×××××.ca> wrote:
4 >
5 >> On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 17:03:15 +0100
6 >> Michael Weber <xmw@g.o> wrote:
7 >>> udev/openrc stopped re-mounting /dev that last year.
8 >>
9 >> Are you sure? I have CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT disabled, latest stable
10 >> udev (197-r3) and openrc (0.11.8), and no /dev line in my fstab, yet
11 >> my /dev is still a devtmpfs with a proper set of device nodes.
12 >
13 > Me too. It looks like /etc/init.d/udev-mount mounts it if the kernel
14 > hasn't, but I'd like to know more about whatever best practice is.
15
16 Mind the _re_-mount,
17 if udev discovers /dev not being mounted, udev does.
18 if udev discovers /dev mounted, no mount action is taken.
19 Earlier versions remounted /dev regardless.
20
21 My best practice is to have CONFIG_DEVTMPFS_MOUNT enabled:
22 I don't use initrd (except for disk encryption) and
23 I still find my disks during init=/bin/bash recovery.
24
25 and it does not hurt, anymore.
28 Michael Weber
29 Gentoo Developer