From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: 'Donny Davies' <woodchip@g.o>, gentoo-core@g.o
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-dev] HEADS UP: Twitching to un-arch-mask Apache2
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 11:13:11
1 Hi Donny,
2
3 > The time has come (slightly overdue) to make Apache2 the
4 > default version on Gentoo. Because it is still ~arch masked,
5 > you only get it "by default" if you run the "unstable"
6 > flavour around here.
7
8 PHP is still not recommended for production use with Apache 2
9 (http://www.php.net/manual/en/install.apache2.php).
10
11 That said, PHP 4.3.2-r2 runs fine for me under Apache 2 on Gentoo (so far).
12
13 > I'm sure most of you know that distros like RedHat and
14 > Mandrake (plus undoubtedly several others) give you this
15 > version by default, and provide Apache1 packages for those
16 > who still want it.
17
18 Good for them ;-)
19
20 RedHat and Mandrake have already "migrated" to rpm. Does that mean Gentoo
21 will be too in the near future?
22 Sarcasm aside, is "keeping up with the Jones's" really that important?
23
24 > Help us to understand where we are and where we're going
25 > with this. We're a little behind on this upgrade, so let's
26 > get moving.
27
28 I'm sure I'm not the only person who has no plans to migrate away from a
29 working (and very stable!) Apache 1.3.x solution in the near future. I have
30 production servers running on this stuff, and being able to still use Apache
31 1 on Gentoo is important to my business. Apache 1 & 2 installing into
32 separate slots is great news (why doesn't 'USE="-apache2 apache" emerge -p
33 apache' offer to install Apache 1 tho? It offers to rebuild Apache 2
34 only.). But already I'm coming across (unstable) ebuilds that have been
35 written to only install with Apache 2 (even tho they're building software
36 that works with Apache 1 as well).
37
38 Is there going to be some sort of "policy decision" on whether new ebuilds
39 should still support Apache 1 as well (where possible, of course), and for
40 how long? And, yes, I'm willing to volunteer to help maintain support for
41 Apache 1 in other ebuilds if that's what it takes.
42
43 Best regards,
44 Stu
50 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list