From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] systemd profiles
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 2014 18:45:18
1 On Wed, Sep 03, 2014 at 02:19:02PM -0400, Ian Stakenvicius wrote:
2 > I thought the whole point of the gentoo-functions package was for it
3 > to take over the /etc/init.d/functions.sh shortcut??
4 >
5 > As far as I am aware (and i believe vapier will confirm),
6 > /etc/init.d/functions.sh is and shall always remain part of the Gentoo
7 > API, despite /etc/init.d/ now being the realm of openrc proper. This
8 > was part of the discussion over a year ago when the decision was made
9 > to implement the pure-bash gentoo-functions.sh replacement in the
10 > first place, and why that symlink didn't disappear back then.
11
12 You are correct that that comment was made. However, later in the bug,
13 multiple folks made the observation that /etc is not the place for a
14 shell library, and there was no disagreement to that [1]. So the way I
15 read it we convinced vapier otherwise.
16
17 Also, the gentoo-functions.sh package went through several iterations before
18 it was stabled, and there were no complaints.
19
20 William
21
22 [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/373219