From: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] gcc vs tcc
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 18:41:41
1 On Fri, 29 Nov 2002 18:41:12 +0100
2 Per Wigren <wigren@××××.se> wrote:
3
4 > Is it OK to add dev-lang/tcc as a build-dependancy?
5
6 This makes for a _VERY_ interesting case. I think we should toy with this
7 concept a bit, as we can save ~3hrs compilation time (provided your
8 results are good, which I have all reason to think) and it's on a
9 non-critical package.
10
11 I suggest:
12 1) Only use tcc on platforms you have tested it on, so check ARCH and have
13 a
14 x86? dev-lang/tcc-<version> in your DEPEND.
15 2) Only leave tcc in the DEPEND= and specifically exclude it in RDEPEND
16 (the assumption I make is that a tcc-compiled binary doesn't depend on a
17 tcc runtime); all too often, build-time tools end up in RDEPEND, which is
18 completely and utterly wrong.
19 3) Depending on how many packages can benefit from tcc, we may want to
20 introduce a useflag for it. May, as it increases the total maintenance
21 cost of the tree.
22
23 Have you done any tests to see how many of the "regular" packages compile
24 nicely with tcc ? Can we compile XFree with it ? (Obviously mozilla is not
25 a candidate, as it's largely written in C++).
28 Kind regards,
29
30 Karl T
33 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list