From: AGottinger@t-online.de (Achim Gottinger)
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] problems with new install
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 21:11:06
1 Ben Lutgens wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi all, I just installed a small system from a running system using
4 > sys-i686-20010406.tgz
5 >
6 > I made a fs, mounted it under /mnt and untared that bad-boy from my currently
7 > running system, did all the steps in the install doc, did an init 1, then
8 > chroot to the new system. I exited chrooted env, unmounted then booted cleanly
9 > to gentoo.
10 >
11 > This is when the fun began ( I love this stuff )
12 >
13 > The first and formost thing I noticed was that syslog spitting out errors
14 > everytime the logger tries to make an entry (it can't access
15 > /var/log/syslog.d/ dir) so I change the perms, now it says it can't lock the
16 > dir. So my syslog is still broken.
17 >
18 > Next I try to add a user using adduser and that application won't even run, I
19 > get "PAM authentication failed" I did however change roots password and am
20 > still able to login.
21 >
22 > I'd really like to get this running at _least_ to a point where I can start to
23 > tinker with ports. I don't mind some hacking but I'd think at least the
24 > authentication should work on initial install.
25 >
26 > Other than these things everything seems to work fine, but I can't seem to add
27 > a user and don't think I'd like to run as root all the time.
28
29 Rhm, I thought I fixed this issue in this sys. Take a look at /etc/pam.d
30 there must be three files useradd groupadd and shadow, both with the
31 same content.
32 Arg I took a quick look and found a typing bug. rename userpadd to
33 useradd. :/
34
35 Sorry for the inconvenience this sys is a snapshot release.
36
37 This syslog thing sounds realy strange, I will take a look at it later
38 (4:30am here).
39 Maybe remerging gluelog/daemontools (both in sys-apps) solves this
40 problem.
41 If you don't speak polis you should also remerge the man package in
42 sys-apps.
43
44 achim~
45 >
46 > TIA
47 > --
48 > Ben Lutgens cell: 612.670.4789
49 > Sistina Software Inc. worl: 612.379.3951
50 > Code Monkey Support (A.K.A. System Administrator)
51 >
52 > Kernel panic: I have no root and I want to scream
53 >
55 > Part 1.2Type: application/pgp-signature