From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP81 home directory guidelines
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2019 14:03:26
1 On 8/17/19 12:29 AM, Haelwenn (lanodan) Monnier wrote:
2 >
3 > Any reason why sharing home directories isn't simply forbidden?
4 > This is sure to blow on us at some point if there is shared home directories.
5 >
6 > ...
7 >
8 > Shouldn't this be owned instead of writable? I'm pretty sure we can
9 > have cases where no having write permissions is prefered for security.
10
11 The weak wording is for two reasons:
12
13 * I'm confident that these are all good ideas, but not 100% certain.
14 This is new stuff, and what constitutes a "best practice" is likely
15 to change. If a corner case comes up, I don't want to have dug us
16 into a hole by outlawing something that turns out to be reasonable
17 in some situations.
18
19 * If this goes into the devmanual, it would be a new policy, and it
20 therefore needs some consensus among developers. It's a lot easier
21 to get consensus for a warning than it is for a ban.
24 >> 5 As a corollary of the previous item, it is highly suspicious for
25 >> an acct-user package to set ACCT_USER_HOME_OWNER="root:root".
26 >
27 > Is there cases where this would be used? It makes no sense to me for a
28 > home to belong to root.
31 It's happened in two cases so far, both leading to some badness. It's a
32 symptom of some other problem, but checking the variable for "root:root"
33 in e.g. repoman is a lot easier than running a tinderbox build to see if
34 there's a directory collision.