From: Markos Chandras <hwoarang@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] More bugzilla restrictions should be applied to normal users
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 10:11:12
1 On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 11:57:26PM +0000, Jorge Manuel B. S. Vicetto wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA1
4 >
5 > Hi Markos.
6 >
7 > On 12-05-2011 20:19, Markos Chandras wrote:
8 > > Hi,
9 > >
10 > > Quite a lot of users tend to change bugzilla fields without even
11 > > understand why they are doing it. Would it be possible to restrict users
12 > > from touching the following fields?
13 > >
14 > > - Importance
15 > > - Severity
16 > > - CCing arches on their own (!)
17 > > - Blocks
18 > > - Keywords
19 > > - <...>
20 > >
21 > > How do you feel about that? Does bugzilla allow such restrictions?
22 >
23 > I think we should trust our users. Some might feel tempted to "test all
24 > the buttons", but I'm sure the majority will just try to fill a bug
25 > report the best way they know how.
26 It is not a matter of trust. If you trust them, then blocking access to
27 these fields shouldn't be a problem anyway.
28 > This topic has been raised a few times in the past and as far as I can
29 > recall there never was a consensus about it. In any case, as pointed out
30 > before, some developers want users to be able to CC them on bugs, at
31 > least on some bugs, informed users can have a good idea about the
32 > importance and or severity of a bug and in general being more open can
33 > provide a more inviting environment for users to look at and or
34 > contribute to Gentoo.
35 First of all, I said "Ccing Arches". Of course they should be allowed to
36 CC anyone, but ccing arches creates too much noise for us and quite a
37 lot of them do not understand the purpose of arch alias.
38 > Finally, whenever a user abuses bugzilla, you can poke bugzilla admins,
39 > userrel and a few others to look at and take care of it. Some of us can
40 > go as far as locking users accounts - feel free to poke me if that need
41 > ever arises.
42 >
43 > > Regards,
44 >
45 How is this solution more elegant than the one I proposed? :)
46
47 Regards,
48 --
49 Markos Chandras / Gentoo Linux Developer / Key ID: B4AFF2C2