From: Andreas Proschofsky <suka@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New local use "binfilter" for app-office/openoffice
Date: Mon, 16 Jan 2006 21:40:50
1 Hi Donnie,
2
3 On Mon, 2006-01-16 at 12:58 -0800, Donnie Berkholz wrote:
4 > "binfilter" is a very non-obvious name for what it does to anyone
5 > unfamiliar with the build system. Why not call it "staroffice"?
6
7 "binfilter" is the project name of this stuff in OOo, so that's the
8 reason it was chosen. It might not be perfect, but it is easy enough to
9 find out what it does (and most shouldn't care about it anyway) but
10 "staroffice" would be a lot worse in my opinion, as this is just for
11 some ancient StarOffice formats, while the more current ones are
12 supported by default (so it would suggest something wrong)
13
14 Actually I thought about that issue in advance, but decided that
15 something like "binfilter" is better than something complicated like
16 "staroffice-legacy".
17
18 bye
19 Andreas