From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: UPower upstream (git master) and 0.99 release -> No sys-power/pm-utils support anymore
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 06:11:44
1 Tom Wijsman posted on Wed, 04 Jun 2014 02:24:31 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 07:55:50 +0800 Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
4 > wrote:
5 >
6 >> The only step missing is:
7 >>
8 >> Mask the new version on all non-systemd profiles so that portage
9 >> doesn't try to install it
10 >>
11 >> (I wonder why systemd and the related stuff isn't masked on non-systemd
12 >> profiles anyway ...)
13 >
14 > There is no such thing as a non-systemd profile; a sub directory is a
15 > specialization, that doesn't mean that it parents suddenly become the
16 > opposite of that. No, the parents are just generalizations that aren't
17 > as specific as the sub directory.
18 >
19 > Doing what you've suggested everywhere but in gnome/systemd and
20 > kde/systemd is a recipe to upset everyone whom runs systemd on another
21 > desktop environment than GNOME or KDE; so, that's not a way forward.
22
23 +1
24
25 Currently I'm default/linux/amd64/13.0/no-multilib.
26
27 I certainly don't want systemd masked as I switched to it a few months
28 ago, but there's no no-multilib systemd profile for me to switch to. Not
29 that I actually need one unless someone goes mad and starts masking
30 packages without a good reason (like it doesn't work on that arch!) in
31 general purpose profiles.
32
33 Of course it wouldn't be a big deal for me anyway; given that I'm
34 advanced enough to have no @system at all as I've negated the whole thing
35 in /etc/portage/profile/packages, I'm sure I could unmask systemd if I
36 needed to. But for other no-multilib systemd users, and for others using
37 similar profiles, masking systemd in a general purpose profile is NOT the
38 way to go.
39
40 The alternatives are a combinatorial profile explosion (impractical),
41 mix-ins, as TomWij suggests (medium-term solution, more likely long-term
42 given gentoo politics, but we need short-term here), or status-quo, not
43 masking packages that work just fine in general-purpose profiles.
44
45 Which basically means news items noting the manual action necessary for
46 things like this, as is now being done. =:^)
51 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman