From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: app-editors/vim-7.3 and python[3] USE flags
Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 19:59:19
1 Jim Ramsay posted on Thu, 19 Aug 2010 17:00:17 +0000 as excerpted:
2
3 > Option 1: IUSE="python python3"
4 >
5 > Where python -> --enable-pythoninterp And python3 ->
6 > --enable-python3interp
7 >
8 > This means if you want python3 support and not python2 support you would
9 > need USE="-python +python3" A bit confusing, perhaps? Or if I set the
10 > local flag description properly, is it okay?
11
12 What about USE=python indicating "maintainer's choice" of version? You
13 could then have either python2 or python3 flags for the other one.
14
15 This sounds a bit more like a policy that should be workable on a longer
16 and more global scale, and similar to what kde and gtk, among others, have
17 done in the past (tho I'm not sure this is exactly right, either, see
18 next).
19
20 I'd strongly suggest consulting with the kde and gtk projects (others?)
21 and coordinating a global python versioned USE flag policy, as there's
22 definitely some gotchas in doing it wrong, that they've had to live with
23 and ultimately correct as time went on and the preferred version became
24 the new one, with the old one eventually deprecated and ultimately removed
25 from the tree. There's definitely some wisdom of experience there that
26 can save python based packages some pain in the long term (3+ years out,
27 tho it's hard to see a scenario where python2 was actually removed from
28 the tree in anything less than 5, if ever, but never say never).
33 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman