From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Changes made by acct-* ebuilds
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2020 18:11:38
1 On Wed, Feb 12, 2020 at 10:02 AM Christopher Head <chead@×××××.ca> wrote:
2
3 > Hi all,
4 > Yesterday something surprised me. I updated my system and got the
5 > acct-{user,group}/lighttpd for the first time. Because lighttpd was
6 > running, package installation failed to change the home directory—fine, it
7 > printed an error message, I stopped the server, changed the home directory
8 > by hand, and started the server back up.
9 >
10 > What I didn’t realize was that it also, successfully, removed the lighttpd
11 > user from a couple of auxiliary groups I had put it in. It did this without
12 > telling me, without printing any messages. I only noticed because I
13 > happened to look at syslog and discovered that usermod or gpasswd or
14 > whatever it called had logged the changes. Presumably this has broken a
15 > service or two (nothing too critical) since now Lighttpd won’t be able to
16 > connect to SCGI sockets any more.
19 I'm not convinced this behavior is correct, so we may be able to just fix
20 it.
21
22 -A
26 > Does it make sense for these ebuilds to print out all the changes they
27 > make to existing users and groups, so that the sysadmin can see what
28 > happened and immediately look into alternative solutions if it breaks
29 > something, rather than silently changing things? Maybe this could even be
30 > limited to cases where the package is being newly installed (not upgraded)
31 > and the user or group already exists, to ease migration from the old world
32 > where sysadmins are easily able to do anything we want with our users and
33 > groups to the new world where we’re expected to leave them alone as the
34 > ebuilds make them, or worst case make out changes in an overlay.
35 >
36 > Thoughts?
37 > --
38 > Christopher Head