From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Proposal for compression handling
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 09:57:16
1 >>>>> On Sat, 21 Feb 2009, Zac Medico wrote:
2
3 > Keep in mind that using a glob that way is going to mean that
4 > docompress has to join each path with the current directory and
5 > then strip $D from the left side. Doing it that way complicates the
6 > implementation details a bit, and it's not quite as flexible as
7 > regular expression support would be. With regular expression support
8 > you could even control which file extensions are compressed or not.
9
10 Following our discussion in #-portage and after thinking about it:
11 I assume that there would be very few cases where globbing or regexp
12 support is required. And these could always be handled by the ebuild
13 itself or by an eclass function.
14
15 So, we should follow the KISS principle here, and allow only literal
16 paths (files or directories) as arguments for docompress.
17
18 Ulrich