From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFD: EAPI specification in ebuilds
Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2012 15:22:18
1 On 03/09/12 10:05, Zac Medico wrote:
2 >>
3 >> Surely we can source one or two lines of the ebuild safely, like the
4 >> example shows?
5 >
6 > Why would we though, when sourcing is a relatively costly operation, and
7 > there are much more efficient ways to get the EAPI?
8
9 There do not seem to be any that people agree on =)
10
11 I mean, it's /easy/ to get the EAPI. There's a list of ways on the GLEP,
12 but all of them have trade-offs.
13
14 The header comment seems to be the preference in this thread. The
15 advantage that the eapi function has over a comment is that it's not
16 magic -- it's just normal bash syntax. So we've addressed that issue at
17 a small performance cost (we're really only sourcing the ebuild up to
18 'exit').
19
20 Whether or not that trade-off is worth it, who knows. I would prefer to
21 make it work before we make it fast; but new ideas can't hurt
22 considering nobody has agreed on an old one.
25 > Also, you've got a chicken and egg problem, since you're assuming that
26 > your eapi() function is going to be available in the global environment
27 > when the ebuild is sourced. The whole point of knowing the EAPI in
28 > advance is so that we will be able to make changes to the global
29 > environment, such as add, remove, or change the behavior of _any_ function.
30
31 Nah, at the top of the ebuild, you would have,
32
33 EAPI=5
34 eapi 5
35
36 until package managers catch up, just like we would have to do with the
37 comment. Once they've caught up, we can drop the EAPI= assignment, and
38 begin using new features after the call to 'eapi'.