From: David Holm <dholm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] portage-ng concurse entry Was: Updated Portage project page
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 2003 09:40:40
1 On Fri, 5 Dec 2003 01:58:17 -0800
2 George Shapovalov <george@g.o> wrote:
3
4 [BIG SNIP]
5
6 > However that's not all. I have produced some basic prototyping code to
7 > illustrate what could be expected. The prototype is quite crude, as I did
8 > this during relatively rare breaks from writing an article (completely
9 > unrelated to CS :)), but it should serve the purpose. Did I say the code
10 > shoul be readable? So, even though I do not expect many people to be familiar
11 > with that language I would still suggest trying to look at the code. You are
12 > in for a one nice surprise ;).
13 > (I am not revealing the name of language in this posting deliberately, because
14 > I want people to read through arguments first).
15 >
16 > The code is available here:
17 > http://dev.gentoo.org/~george/proto_portage-0.7.5.tar.bz2
18 > but you will probably want to read the text before that.
19
20 It is an interesting idea to implement this in Ada and I only see benefits in doing so,
21 especially since I'm no big fan of prolog myself. The problem at the moment however is that
22 GNAT-3.15p has only been ported to x86 and ppc in portage so far. I have a few problems with
23 porting to other architectures, the main one being having access to them and another big issue
24 is that threading is only implemented on a few architectures and so far only supported on x86 in
25 our portage version. Since you need an already working copy of GNAT to port it and the fact that
26 GCC 2.8.1 is becoming increasingly difficult to compile due to it's age I have not been looking
27 forward to the day when someone asks me to port it to another arch.
28 GNAT-5.x is based on GCC 3.2 which makes it much easier to port but you still need an existing
29 GNAT or cross-compiling GNAT for the arch and we still have the same issues with threading.
30 There was talk about reimplementing threading under Linux using nptl now that it has become
31 more widely acknowledged (GNAT requires a more advanced threading model than the standard Linux
32 threading model can provide it with). So far I have not seen anyone attempt to do this though
33 and it seems ACT (the company developing GNAT) are the only ones doing active work on it. ACT
34 also recently took their CVS version of GNAT-5.x offline (5.x has not been publicly released
35 yet) and stated that they were moving things to GCC's CVS. This is both good and bad, good
36 because maybe now more people feel they can submit code, bad because the reason they haven't
37 done this earlier is because the GCC team does not acknowledge the extremely high reliability
38 standards ACT have which means we might see a split where you will only be able to get a
39 "stable" version of GNAT by purchasing it from ACT (the commercial version of GNAT currently
40 costs something like $10,000).
41
42 Still, if we can overcome the portability issue of GNAT then I find this an interesting idea.
43 GNAT is the only freely available Ada compiler for Linux btw.
44
45 //David Holm, Ada maintainer etc