From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] On flags being in IUSE (and the prefix USE-flag in particular)
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2012 08:20:09
1 On 07-09-2012 16:38:15 -0700, Gregory M. Turner wrote:
2 > On 9/7/2012 10:32 AM, Fabian Groffen wrote:
3 > > With the introduction of IMPLICIT_IUSE (scheduled for EAPI 5), a phrase
4 > > has been added to PMS, that finally makes a statement on what's supposed
5 > > to be in IUSE, and what not[2]. To me, this patch means that things like
6 > > userland_BSD, elibc_glibc, etc. do *NOT* belong in IUSE of an
7 > > ebuild/eclass (and hence should be removed). 'prefix', on the other
8 > > hand, should be added to IUSE of those ebuilds/eclasses that use them.
9 >
10 > What, exactly, is the difference -- the principle behind the "should"s
11 > above? USE_EXPAND? Probably more a problem of me being lazy than
12 > anything being wrong with it, but [2] reads like Greek to me.
13
14 USE_EXPAND - yes.
15
16 > > For EAPI 5 (assuming it contains IMPLICIT_IUSE) the base profile can be
17 > > enriched with IMPLICIT_IUSE="prefix".
18 > >
19 > > For all currently Council approved EAPIs this means 'prefix' has to be
20 > > added to IUSE.
21 >
22 > I haven't looked into IMPLICIT_IUSE too carefully, but ... shouldn't
23 > this be... implicit? Sorry, I'm being super lazy and not reading
24 > anything here.
25
26 The idea here is that the package manager knows in advance which
27 USE-flags are valid for the ebuild. I called that 'defined' lateron in
28 this mail.
29 Normally, if you use a USE-flag, you add them to IUSE of the ebuild.
30 However, some USE-flags have been considered too general to put them in
31 there in the past.
32 Most of those are arch-related, keyword, userland_*, etc. IMPLICIT_IUSE
33 is meant to accomodate this case for ordinary USE-flags, like 'prefix'.
34 That is, a USE-flag added to IMPLICIT_IUSE is always there, and hence no
35 need to add it to IUSE of the ebuild. This only works for EAPI 5
36 (assuming it gets accepted), though.
37
38 > > In case you wonder why this is a problem now, Portage/repoman has a rule
39 > > that USE-flags that are masked in the profiles implicitly are defined.
40 >
41 > Probably making a total ass of myself at this point but... could you
42 > define "defined"? I'm guessing I'd understand how to get flags masked
43 > implicitly if I read the IMPLICIT_IUSE stuff? Or do you mean "are
44 > defined implicitly" (in which case, again, I don't see why we'd need to
45 > make them explicit).
46
47 There is probably different wording for this, but what I meant was that
48 ebuilds can only use USE-flags that are defined to be used by the
49 ebuild. The latter is done through listing it in IUSE in the ebuild.
50
51 > > [2] http://git.overlays.gentoo.org/gitweb/?p=proj/pms.git;a=commitdiff;h=d9040ab3482af5f790368bac5d053bf1cd760ba8;hp=f9f7729c047300e1924ad768a49c660e12c2f906
52 >
53 > Apologies for these questions -- in my defense, being both lazy and
54 > ignorant puts me at a real disadvantage here :)
55
56 The real question here is if the dev community agrees on adding 'prefix'
57 conditionally to IUSE in many eclasses and ebuilds.
61 Fabian Groffen
62 Gentoo on a different level