From: Teo <icemaze@××××××××××.it>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] speeding up emerge sync...and being nice to the mirrors
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 16:16:42
1 On Thursday 15 May 2003 17:32, rob holland wrote:
2 > No you wouldn't...rsync would copy just the differences....thats the whole
3 > point of rsync :/
4
5 Sorry, didn't knew that ^_^'
6 Anyway, I don't think that the performance gain would justify the greater
7 complexity. In fact, the performance you gain when rsyncing a user this way,
8 is lost when an ebuild is submit (the FS must be mounted, the ebuild
9 added/modified/deleted and the FS unmounted, all this without being able to
10 accept users' requests).
11 I think that there is not an easy way to get sync operations quicker. Maybe
12 with the use of some sort of database.
13 Instead, it would be nice to have a list of the packages available. The
14 ebuilds could be fetched only on merge/update. "emerge sync" would upgrade
15 only the list, and "emerge world -u" would send the world file to the server
16 which would reply with up-to-date ebuilds.
17
18 Would this be feasible?
19 --
20 icemaze@××××××××××.it