From: Francesco Riosa <vivo75@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Deprecate EAPI1?
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 23:17:22
1 2012/3/11 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>:
2 > On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 09:52:40 -0400
3 > Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
4 >> Is there really much of a benefit to this?  I guess for anybody who
5 >> runs scripts to mass-manipulate ebuilds it might be helpful, but I
6 >> think all the package managers planned on supporting all the EAPIs for
7 >> quite a while longer.
8 >
9 > We have to support them indefinitely. It's not possible to uninstall a
10 > package whose EAPI is unknown.
11
12 probably not needed in practice, some random toughts follow.
13
14 upgrade a gentoo system older than three years is nearly impossible,
15 even update small part of it can be a major problem. Solution being
16 install from scratch in a new partition or overwrite with a stage 3
17 and abuse "qfile -o".
18
19 Hopefully situation will change in the future, and we will able to
20 eix-sync and upgrade all of gentoo or only part of it.
21
22 At the moment tough the ability to ununstall a package from year
23 2008/2009 is moot, the system is screwed anyway.
24
25 except for the possible existance of packages which have not been
26 updated in 3/4 years (do they exist?) it's possible for all package
27 mangler (tm) to consider pre 2009 stuff as forgotten.
28
29 regards,
30 Francesco