From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: [RFC] obs eclasses
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2011 16:32:13
1 Michal Hrusecky posted on Thu, 15 Sep 2011 10:18:36 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 >> How about using open-build-service in the name of the eclass(es)?
4 >
5 > I personally dislike long file names and obs is well known abbreviation
6 > (in my google search, second link is http://guild.opensuse.org and first
7 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBS which also list OBS as Open Build
8 > Service), although a little bit ambiguous. If it would be hard
9 > requirement for getting them in, I would consider expanding the 'obs',
10 > but personally I would prefer not to.
11
12 Taking a hint from the existing eclass name patterns, I'd strongly urge
13 open-build.eclass or the like, over obs.eclass, which is intuitively read
14 as "obsolete" (or in a medical context, obstetrics), here.
15
16 Similarly with its vars and functions. obs_* is simply not immediately
17 readable to many of those who may end up looking at ebuilds using it (I'm
18 not the only one who has mentioned it), and were it me proposing it, I'd
19 be particularly anxious to avoid the negative implications and confusion
20 of someone reading "obsolete" into such references.
21
22 But of course I'm not the primary target audience or the person that's
23 going to end up typing it in repeatedly, so...
28 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman