From: "Benedikt Böhm" <hollow@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC][NEW] Utility to find orphaned files
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2010 17:43:59
1 On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Angelo Arrifano <miknix@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hello developers developers and developers,
3 >
4 > Ever wondered how much crap is left in your X-years old Gentoo box?
5 >
6 > I just developed a python utility to efficiently find orphaned files in
7 > the system. By orphaned files I mean the files that are present on
8 > system directories and don't belong to any installed package.
9 >
10 > The package builds a virtual filesystem (cache) on the RAM using python
11 > hash tables. Then it uses the cache to find the ownership of files
12 > inside user-specified dirs.
13 >
14 > Building the cache takes less than 10 seconds here in a system with 1366
15 > installed packages.
16 >
17 > This is not intended to be a finished program yet, I'm looking forward
18 > for your constructive commentaries.
19
20 i have refactored findcruft (search the forums) two years ago (see
21 http://git.xnull.de/cgit/findcruft2/), maybe you can take a look at
22 it, especially the false-positives handling.
23
24 HTH,
25 Bene