From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: don't rely on dynamic deps
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 2014 13:11:51
1 On Sun, Jul 27, 2014 at 8:31 AM, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > I'm eager to hear how you want to make subslots work with dynamic deps.
4 >
5 > := gets converted to :${SLOT}/${SUBSLOT} in vardb and this is used to
6 > trigger the rebuilds.
7 >
8 > How do you record the subslot a package was built against in the live tree?
11 Well, suppose the dependency is removed because it never was a true
12 dependency to begin with. Portage can handle this by deleting the
13 corresponding entry from vardb.
14
15 That is a dynamic dependency change, and offhand I don't see how it
16 breaks with subslots.
17
18 This is why we have to be careful about tossing around phrases like
19 "dynamic deps don't work" - they don't work in particular
20 circumstances, and it is helpful to the discussion if we try to
21 characterize when they do/don't work rather than painting with broad
22 strokes.
23
24 I do think that this needs some attention so that we can make portage
25 more predictable, but I think the argument has been made that we have
26 a LOT of changes in the tree today which don't involve revbumps, and
27 turning them into revbumps could cause a lot of turmoil for users.
28 So, I'm interested in seeing if there is a better compromise to be
29 found.
30
31 Rich