From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] -Werror unwanted?
Date: Tue, 15 May 2012 16:38:36
1 On Tuesday 15 May 2012 07:29:36 Tony "Chainsaw" Vroon wrote:
2 > On 14/05/12 16:44, hasufell wrote:
3 > > However, I don't see references to ebuild policy (in devmanual or
4 > > howtos) how to handle Werror.
5 >
6 > As can be judged by the title of my patches on the subject, I consider
7 > -Werror to be short-sighted at best and idiotic at worst. The next GCC
8 > version, which will add *loads* of warnings to anything that compiled
9 > cleanly before, is going to kill you.
10
11 to clarify, having -Werror in upstream packages and getting enabled by default
12 when doing development is not short-sighted or idiotic at all, but in fact
13 makes a lot of sense for a lot of setups. shipping it enabled by default in a
14 release could be considered those things though.
15
16 a good compromise is what toolchain (and a few other) packages do: provide a
17 configure flag like --disable-werror.
18 -mike