From: Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] how to handle sensitive files when generating binary packages
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 16:52:09
1 On Wed, 20 Jun 2007 15:15:20 +0200
2 Matthias Schwarzott <zzam@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On Mittwoch, 20. Juni 2007, Olivier CrĂȘte wrote:
5 > >
6 > > I will claim that almost any file in /etc is potentially sensitive
7 > > (even if it does not contain passwords, if may contain other
8 > > informations interesting to a cracker). And even if we did what you
9 > > propose, we'd run the risk of missing some and giving the user a
10 > > false sense of security.
11 > >
12 > > Maybe we should document somewhere that the only way to make bin pkg
13 > > that are safe for public distribution is to do emerge -b or -B ..
14 > > And that pkgs built with quickpkg may contain sensitive information.
15 >
16 > If there is smart conf-file updating inside pkg_preinst(), I think
17 > even emerge -b could be unsafe.
18
19 preinst is run after building the tbz2 package.
20
21 Marius
24 Marius Mauch <genone@g.o>
25 --