From: Tobias Klausmann <klausman@××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] x86 toolchain changes heads up
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2007 11:07:49
1 Hi!
2
3 On Tue, 17 Jul 2007, Mike Frysinger wrote:
4 > historically, gcc on x86 has always defaulted to i386. some people noticed
5 > recently that glibc-2.6 fails to build in this situation as they were only
6 > setting -mtune via CFLAGS, not -march. i'll be tweaking gcc so that it will
7 > default -march based on your CHOST. so all the i686-* people will now have a
8 > default -march=i686 implied in their gcc systems, i586-* people will
9 > have -march=i586, etc... keep in mind this is merely the default.
10
11 Do I understand this correctly?
12
13 Up until now, gcc implicitly assumed -march=i386 if nothing else
14 was specified by the user.
15
16 Now, it defaults to something different, so -mtune works
17 differently than it used to.
18
19 If both are correct, I have questions?
20
21 - With what version did/will gcc change?
22 Corollary: In what Changelog of gcc can I find out more?
23 (Rather: which changelog can I point my coworkers to)
24 - What's the new default?
25
26 Thanks,
27 Tobias
30 In the future, everyone will be anonymous for 15 minutes.
31 --
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list