From: "William L. Thomson Jr." <wltjr@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] www-servers/axis -> commercial dependencies
Date: Sun, 24 Dec 2006 05:44:47
1 On Sat, 2006-12-23 at 20:20 +0100, Enrico Weigelt wrote:
2 >
3 > Great :)
4 > It was really, really ugly getting tomcat emerge'd w/ all this
5 > commercial crap :(
6
7 Blame upstream for using them. Granted the are somewhat optional more on
8 that below.
9
10 > I had some talks w/ tomcat folks
11
12 Where? Who? Just curious. There are ant download targets for most of the
13 deps, we just bypass. So it's not like the deps come from no where in a
14 normal build from source.
15
16 > - they were some bit confused
17 > about the huge dependencies @gentoo and suggested using some
18 > of their (monolithic) packages instead.
19
20 I have tried to slim it down, but dropping certain deps to seem to
21 change things that are activated or not within Tomcat. For example there
22 seems to be some issues with the java5 USE flag. Either that, or some of
23 the dropped deps when that flag is used is effecting the resulting
24 catalina.jar. Who knows what other jars would be effected by dropping
25 other deps.
26
27 > Could anyone explain where all these dependencies come from ?
28
29 Tomcat <=5.5.x has a ton of deps. There are these wonderful deps
30 referred to in build.properties.default as Core Optional Libraries.
31 I hate who ever decided to word it that way or call it that ;)
32 I have tired to research if they are needed, what they do etc. If they
33 effect the ending result.
34
35 Example core optional libraries. Log4j? What's up with that Tomcat 5.5.x
36 uses JULI by default. So that one alone I have yet to figure out why
37 it's needed or should be around.
38
39 Now consider this for a moment. Upstream is likely using binaries to
40 build their binary version of Tomcat ;) So it's not like they are
41 compiling all the stuff they are using to build Tomcat from source.
42 Before they compile and ship Tomcat. We do it all from source. :) Which
43 can explain extended deps right there.
44
45 > Are there perhaps some build conditionals which are not yet
46 > reflected in useflags ?
47
48 I highly doubt it and with all the variables, you would likely break
49 something and not know it. Till someone uses that feature or aspect and
50 etc. Most are expecting the compiled from source on Gentoo version to be
51 equivalent to the binary version, out of the box.
52
53 The only thing I can say about the whole situation is they are working
54 on releasing Tomcat 6.0.x in the next month or two. Tomcat 6.0.x has way
55 less deps, and it's much clearer that the ones it has are needed. No
56 core optional, or optional stuff. I might see about unmasking and
57 versioning either alpha/beta the ebuild despite sources not being
58 tagged :( So people can test it out and hopefully help get it released
59 ASAP.
60
61 As for 5.5.x, it's not clear if there will be further releases from
62 upstream. It's got lots of legacy code and likely deps.
65 William L. Thomson Jr.
66 Gentoo/Java