From: warnera6 <warnera6@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] C++ herd proposal
Date: Mon, 19 Sep 2005 13:24:40
1 Mark Loeser wrote:
2 > Paul de Vrieze wrote:
3 >
4 >> I think that dev-util is a very specific category containing
5 >> development utilities of some sort. There might be some
6 >> misclassifications in them, but from a user perspective I don't really
7 >> care about the language anything is written in. As C++ is so
8 >> widespread I don't think that anything but app-misc or the like should
9 >> be moved into a dev-cpp category.
13 > This isn't for what the package is written in, but more for what the
14 > package is for. If the package is a utility for use when doing coding
15 > with C++, like the ones I listed, then I think it should be in dev-cpp.
16 > That's what the metadata for the category describes it to be.
17 >
18 > Mark
19
20 Once again I'd like to point out that organizing packages in the tree by
21 category is a stupid idea for this very reason.
22 --
23 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list