From: "Petteri R├Ąty" <betelgeuse@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] emerge -C eselect-python disaster
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 09:26:34

Again let's try again so maybe you understand the issues here. You can see the contents of the system set like this: emerge --nodeps -epv @system (on Portage 2.2) It doesn't have eselect-python: pena portage-trunk # emerge --nodeps -epv @system | grep eselect-python pena portage-trunk # You must differentiate between the @system set and what you think of as "system packages". The set should for maintenance reasons reflect it's true purpose. Again you can file a bug for Portage to warn about removing it's deps and Portage maintainers can see if it's feasibly doable. Another thing we should consider is writing a news item educating users how to use Portage properly these days. At least ACCEPT_LICENSE and --depclean need attention. Regards, Petteri