From: Sebastian Pipping <sping@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Naming of repositories: gento-x86 edition, bike shedding wanted
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 00:26:00
1 On 14.03.2015 23:25, Robin H. Johnson wrote:
2 > Trying to explain to a new user that the Portage tree refers to the
3 > collection of ebuilds used by a PMS-compliant package manager (eg
4 > Portage) is problematic.
5
6 Full ack. Let's limit "portage" to the piece of software, please.
9 > Questions: 0. What names for the tree/repository.
10
11 It's not a tree. Ideally, it would be a directed acyclic graph (DAG),
12 there maybe be some loops, even.
13
14 I would therefore object to any name that has "tree" in it.
17 Since there are other Gentoo-based distros, I would say the word
18 "gentoo" should be in there.
19
20 Plain "gentoo" may work. I would be happy with any of
21 "gentoo-"{core,main,master} as well, if plain "gentoo" causes trouble
22 for a name in some context.
25 > 1. We have some namespaces in Git: proj, dev, priv, data, sites,
26 > exp; should the tree be in one of those namespaces, a new
27 > namespace, or be without a namespace?
28 > git://anongit.gentoo.org/NEW-NAME.git.
29
30 Not in any of those namespace, please.
31
32 If in any, make it "repos" or "repositories", please.
35 Thanks for your consideration.
36
37 Best,
41 Sebastian