From: "John (EBo) David" <ebo@×××××××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] bootstrap failure and documentation segestions
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 07:01:16
1 Gontron recently turned me on to Gentoo... look cool. Follows are a
2 review of problems I encountered bootstrapping Gentoo, suggestions where
3 it can be fixed, and also some suggestions on documentation fixes.
4
5
6 Bootstrap failure:
7
8 in the install documentation (code listing 23) we have:
9
10 # emerge --usepkg system
11 The --usepkg option tells emerge to check for a
12 pre-built binary package first and to use it if available.
13
14 When doing a source only build without precompiled binaries there is no
15 package information in portage/pakages/ALL (or similar path). The
16 current version of emerge then dies with an esoteric error and does
17 nothing. Removing the "--usepkg" causes emerge to then function
18 properly. Since the documentation reads "...use it if available" I
19 consider this behavior a bug in emerge. Proposed/suggested fix: if
20 file not found, trap error and run as if --usepkg not given as argument.
21
22
23 Documentation:
24
25 the install documentation is involved enough that I went ahead and
26 printed it out ahead of time, took notes from my current configuration,
27 and began install. The fixed width of the documentation causes a number
28 of annoyances with viewing. While this is not a big problem for me it
29 can cause problems with low res monitors (for old machines) and browsers
30 in large font mode (necessary for visually impaired). The problem I had
31 is that the text is roughly 0.5" wider than a standard printed page, and
32 some of the instructions were almost rendered unintelligible do to the
33 missing, unprinted, information. suggested fix: make browser/printer
34 friendly version(s) and possibly conform to W3C formatting guidelines.
35
36
37 I would like to thank you all for making Gentoo generally available, and
38 Gontran specifically for helping me find the emerge problem in addition
39 to all his other help.
40
41 Best regards,
42