From: Stuart Herbert <stuart@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Purpose of genkernel
Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2003 14:05:14
1 On Saturday 04 October 2003 2:51 pm, Bob Johnson wrote:
2 > I think many of our devs need to sit in #gentoo a little more often and
3 > watch new users struggle with there first kernel build.
4 >
5 > The whole purpose of genkernel is to help at this stage. Its pretty
6 > frustrating for a user to spend all day installing gentoo, then cannot
7 > get it to boot.
8 >
9 > Its not for everyone, its not perfect. and it was never
10 > intended to takeover any part of sys-kernel.
11 > I wrote it and dont even use it except for testing..
12 >
13 > Bob
14
15 I've nothing against genkernel. Never used it, never planning to ;-) I do
16 think users who can't compile a kernel are going to find other problems with
17 using Gentoo, but hey - we all started somewhere ;-)
18
19 I'm just objecting to what (on the face of it) appear to be far-reaching and
20 far-fetched ideas to fundamentally change how kernels are handled.
21
22 Best regards,
23 Stu
24 --
25 Stuart Herbert stuart@g.o
26 Gentoo Developer http://www.gentoo.org/
27 Beta packages for download http://dev.gentoo.org/~stuart/packages/
28 Come and meet me in March 2004 http://www.phparch.com/cruise/
29
30 GnuGP key id# F9AFC57C available from http://pgp.mit.edu
31 Key fingerprint = 31FB 50D4 1F88 E227 F319 C549 0C2F 80BA F9AF C57C