From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] sys-libs/ncurses: punted from system in profiles
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 18:42:05
1 On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 1:04 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
2 > what might be interesting is if we had a "Gentoo default" set which is what
3 > would come in a stage3 rather than the current "stage3 is the system set".
4 > then we could move virtual/ssh out of the system set and into the "Gentoo
5 > default" set so it'd be easier for people to drop/etc...  but i'm not familiar
6 > enough with the portage support atm to say how feasible such an idea would be.
9 ++
10
11 I see system about resolving the circular dependency issue - not as
12 installing useful apps. After all, the system set doesn't even
13 include a kernel!
14
15 >> sys-apps/kbd
16 >
17 > this controls keyboard mappings and fonts on the console.  while the default
18 > is probably OK for the USians, most everyone else wants to tweak these.
21 I tend to agree that this is closer to a system dependency. Even my
22 initramfs example might have a need for interactive input, and that
23 means a working keyboard layout. As a US user I can be spoiled by the
24 defaults, but I appreciate the value of this.
25
26 >> sys-apps/texinfo
27 >
28 > i personally detest info pages, but we end up needing texinfo by many many
29 > packages just to *build* the info pages.
30
31 Still probably something better placed in DEPEND. However, as I've
32 said before purging the system set is an aspirational goal and we
33 don't need to have a big debate over this right now.
34
35 Rich