From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] sys-libs/ncurses: punted from system in profiles
Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2011 18:42:05
On Tue, Dec 6, 2011 at 1:04 PM, Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o> wrote:
> what might be interesting is if we had a "Gentoo default" set which is what > would come in a stage3 rather than the current "stage3 is the system set". > then we could move virtual/ssh out of the system set and into the "Gentoo > default" set so it'd be easier for people to drop/etc...  but i'm not familiar > enough with the portage support atm to say how feasible such an idea would be. >
++ I see system about resolving the circular dependency issue - not as installing useful apps. After all, the system set doesn't even include a kernel!
>> sys-apps/kbd > > this controls keyboard mappings and fonts on the console.  while the default > is probably OK for the USians, most everyone else wants to tweak these. >
I tend to agree that this is closer to a system dependency. Even my initramfs example might have a need for interactive input, and that means a working keyboard layout. As a US user I can be spoiled by the defaults, but I appreciate the value of this.
>> sys-apps/texinfo > > i personally detest info pages, but we end up needing texinfo by many many > packages just to *build* the info pages.
Still probably something better placed in DEPEND. However, as I've said before purging the system set is an aspirational goal and we don't need to have a big debate over this right now. Rich