From: Matt Doughty <wyndigo@××××××××××.jp>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] prefix overide portage
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2002 08:15:47
1 Hi,
2 I hate to start by complaining or critisizing what I consider a
3 wonderful project. I'm basically a NetBSD user who is looking
4 for functionality(hardware 3d support) that linux has, and
5 NetBSD is lacking. I was working through the install, and ran
6 into a couple oddities/annoyances. I noticed that alot of
7 packages in portage statically set the install prefix. I find
8 this to be very undesirable behavior, and was wondering if
9 this is temporary or has noone complained about this rather
10 rigid structure? From my perspective a system should be divided
11 in this manner:
12
13 base system (kernel, and userland): --prefix=/, and --prefix=/usr
14 package system installed pkgs: --prefix=/usr/pkg
15 X system: --prefix=/usr/X11R6
16
17 this leaves /usr/local, and /opt for hand built packages. In NetBSD
18 the base system is completely seperate from the package system, and
19 the package system, and X prefixes can be overridden by the
20 enviroment variables LOCALBASE, and X11BASE respectively. I love
21 the overall design of the system, and clean nature of the /etc
22 directory. I would be happy to help make the needed changes to
23 allow for this increased flexibility.
24
25 --Matt